When I was seven I got my first taste of media-induced paranoia after reading an article about killer bees, which, sadly, never made it to my part of the world. In fact, I don’t think they ever made it out of Colombia. I think we were saved by the ice age of the late 1970s, which killed all the killer bees.
Since then it’s been an endless parade of nonsense.
Here then, is a very small sample of all the media scares I personally have survived, from A-Z
- Acid Rain / Anthrax / Antibiotic Resistance
- Bird Flu / Breast Implants / Bubonic Plague
- Caffeine / Cell Phones / Climate Change / Communism / Crack
- DDT / Deforestation / Dirty Bombs
- Ecoli / Eggs
- Fatty Foods / Fluoridation / Foreigners
- Global Cooling / Global Warming / GMOs / Gun Control
- Heroin / Homosexuality
- Illegal Aliens / Isis
- Killer Asteroids / Killer Bees / Killer Robots
- Mad Cow Disease / Mass Extinctions / Mercury Poisoning / Meth
- Nuclear War / Nuclear Winter / Nutrasweet
- OIl Spills / Overpopulation / Ozone Holes
- Peak Oil / Pesticides / Plastic Bags / Pollution
- Rogue States / Running Out of Food / Oil / Water
- SARS / Swine Flu / Street Gangs / Sugar / Super Germs
- Terrorism / Tsunamis
- Undocumented Workers
- Vaccinations & Autism / Video Games
- Wage Gap / West Nile Virus
- Y2K / Yellow Fever
How many of these world ending crises have affected you personally? Less than three? How many have changed the world in any perceptible way? Zero.
Basically, life goes on in all it’s glorious monotony, and will continue for the foreseeable future. Life’s a bore, and then you die.